Oxford, The City of Dreaming Spires, is famous the world over for its University and place in history. For over 800 years, it has been a home to royalty and scholars, and since the 9th century an established town, although people are known to have lived in the area for thousands of years.
In the streets of Oxford…
In 1818 St Martin’s church was rebuilt complete with tower, however towards the end of the 19th century, mounting traffic problems necessitated road widening. The church, apart from it’s tower, was demolished in 1896. The tower is all that remains today. On the east facade the church clock is adorned by two “quarter boys”, who hit the bells at every “quarter” of the hour.
Climbing 99 steps to the top of the tower to get a bird’s eye view of Oxford’s “Dreaming Spires”
360 degree panoramic view from the top of Carfax Tower…
The Radcliffe Camera
The “Rad Cam” or “Radders” is designed by James Gibbs in the English Palladian style and built in 1737–1749 to house the Radcliffe Science Library. The building was funded by a £40,000 bequest from John Radcliffe, who died in 1714. Nicholas Hawksmoor proposed making the building round.
Christ Church is both Oxford University’s largest College and the Cathedral Church for the Anglican Diocese of Oxford. Many of the scenes in the Harry Potter feature films are shot in various locations of the College.
Notice the beautiful markings left by creepers previously removed?
War Memorial Garden
The War Memorial Garden was laid out in 1925 and commemorates all Oxford people – whether from the city or the university – who died in the First World War. The garden is close to Christ Church College and provides visitors with a peaceful spot in a fairly busy part of the city, usually bustling with tourists and students. The garden is quite small, but is always kept exceptionally neat.
Still grazed by Long Horn cattle, the Meadow is held in trust by Christ Church College as a pocket of green countryside which provides tranquil, rural walkways in the very heart of the city. From the main entrance via the Memorial Gardens in St Aldate’s the scenic Deadman’s Walk (the former coffin route to the Jewish cemetery) skirts the boundaries of Christ Church, Corpus Christi and Merton en route to the Botanic Garden, while other secluded routes follow the banks of the pretty River Cherwell or the Isis – the Oxford section of the River Thames.
Oxford Castle was built by a Norman baron, Robert D’Oyly, in 1071 (shortly after the Norman Conquest of England in 1066). It was originally an earth mound with a stone keep on top, known as St George’s tower, and later a fifty foot wall with towers was built around the structure.
Timeline of Oxford Castle…
A view of the castle from the mound (hill)
On the left, is the entrance to the 5 star Oxford Castle Hotel
A prison cell - look at how small it is – getting all claustrophobic!
Torture equipment used in the prison years ago…
Can you spot us among the criminals?
Beeing cheeky and waving the flag around atop the mound…
The flag is alot heavier than it looks :)